Thursday, September 9, 2010

Still Reading After All These Years

I might not be crazy, but I have definitely found solace in reading since I learned from the simple Bob-books. I find that there are some books that no matter what your age is, you can't help but love them. So today's post is designated to those special favorite books. Here it goes...

-The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. I read this book once for summer reading and I loved it. I like it's different puns like how Milo searches for Princesses Rhyme and Reason.

-I like Chris Crutcher's books like Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes, and The Sledding Hill. I found his books at a middle school book fair and was intrigued. His books are highly realistic: they focus on real and serious themes and use accurate adolescent language. I have a bunch of his books on my shelf that I can't wait to read.

-Percy Jackson and The Olympians Series by Rick Riordan. I came across these books in middle school as well. Riordan grounds fantasy in reality as Percy Jackson, demigod son of Poseidon, fights monsters around Manhattan and Camp Half Blood. The characters are believable and I found that I cared for them from the beginning of The Lightning Thief  and beyond the last page of The Last Olympian. This is a fast-paced read and I'd recommend it to people who enjoyed the following book series...

-J.K Rowling's Harry Potter series. This is one of my all time favorite book series. I grew up with these books and began reading in elementary school. I even went to the midnight release parties for the sixth and seventh books at the bookstore in my town. Rowling captures the reader in the Harry's Wizarding World, which is now a theme park nonetheless, and the reader is left stunned after reading this fantastic series.

-Agatha Chirstie's books like And Then There Were None, Murder on the Orient Express, and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. I love a good mystery and Christie's are the best that I've read. Her books contain every slightest detail which at first, readers, like myself, may ignore but later end up kicking themselves as they find that they brushed by the solution to the mystery without giving it a single thought. Christie throws many red herrings and curve balls at the reader and most often, the murderer or criminal is in the place that you'd never look but clearly should have. Read this with a pencil and sheet of paper to keep track of suspects, clues, and details to solve the mystery.

Do you have any of these favorite books? Leave a comment and talk about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment