Monday, August 23, 2010

D.E.A.R Time

This summer has been a rather dry one with little precipitation until yesterday morning when the clouds darkened over Massachusetts and poured rain over the parched ground. For the first time since June, we really felt the chilling effects of a crisp rain. Whether it be running through the weather for shelter or staying cooped inside with rainy day past times. With the warm and inviting weather of summer, I find myself spending much of my time occupied outside and being consistently active. I easily fall behind in my scheduled summer reading and am forced to stay up late at night to catch up. But with this wet weather, I have found more time to do one of the things I most love: reading.

Aside from quick errands, I have spent most of the past two days indoors reading.Without the bright sunshine illuminating the pages of my books and causing my wandering eyes to notice the gorgeous summer weather, I have gotten considerably ahead in my summer reading. With this obligation kept at bay, I then advanced to a book for my personal enjoyment. Since middle school, I have been a sucker for Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson Series. These books are very entertaining and a quick read; thus, I have zoomed through most of the last installment in just a matter of hours. It's easy to get lost in a great book, connect with the characters, and exist in the environment of the story. Time isn't an object when reading and it was soon seven o' clock at night in real life yet entire days had passed in Percy's quest. In this imaginative world, I have found solace in the rainy days of summer. Yet I think the rainy days may be the real comfort after a busy summer; it's nice to have time to relax, be lazy, and read a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment